Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Mirror Mirror on the Wall

When I quit my job 7 months ago to stay at home with my daughter I promised myself I would never be one of those moms who ends up wearing no make-up, sweats and the obligatory pony tail. Well, today while at my daughter's Gymboree Art class I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror and realized....promise broken.
The woman staring back at me stopped me dead in my finger painting tracks. A haggard face sans make-up, sweats (well, technically yoga pants but let's be honest, they're the new millennium's sweatpants) and yes, the "I'm not sure when I last washed my hair" pony tail.
Just months ago I was a successful career woman with killer shoes, designer handbags, feminine frocks and CLEAN hair. Every single day I took pride in how I looked. I cared what my
co-workers thought of me (not necessarily the healthiest attitude, but totally true). I kept staring at myself in the mirror wondering how I let this happen as my daughter wiped her tiny paint-covered hands on my faded black sweats. Then I looked around at the other Mommies in the class and discovered they too had given up (sorry ladies). Yoga pants, yoga pants, yoga pants! I wanted to scream out "Have we no shame? We're out in public in sweatpants!!" Why did we all do this to ourselves? Did we feel as though our role as "Mom" didn't deserve the same time and care as that of the working woman?
OUCH. I think I just hit a nerve.
My own.
I started to realize this was way deeper then bad hair and dirty pants when suddenly a little voice screamed "Mommy, juice NOW."
Reflective time, officially over.
As we gathered our belongings and headed for the door I couldn't help but wonder what the Art class mirror would reveal next week.
Or maybe we'll try Music class instead.
That room doesn't have a mirror.

1 comment:

  1. Well now, you wouldn't want to chase after a small child wearing killer shoes, or pack juice boxes in a designer handbag, would you? (Sure those juice boxes seem perfectly sealed until a child sneaks one out, opens it, takes one sip, then puts it back in the bag upside down--I speak from experience.)

    And when your daughter wiped her painty hands on your pants, it just served as a reminder why you've learned to choose no- frills clothing during your newly-defined workday...because the kids will just mess it up anyway.

    ReplyDelete